Over the past year, working from home has become much more common for many employees. In order to work from home comfortably and effectively, it is vital to have the right office furniture in place. Setting up your equipment and furniture correctly will help you to perform your best and avoid work-related issues such as RSI. So, what kind of office furniture and equipment will you need to create the perfect home office setup? Also, what is the best sitting posture when you are working? Read on to find out the answers.
Correct Sitting Posture
Before we discuss office furniture, let us look at what sitting posture you should aim for while working. You should sit straight ahead facing your screen with your feet on the floor (or on a footrest) and your arms flat on the desk with elbows bent at 90 degrees. Both your screen and keyboard should be directly in front of you, with the screen at an arm’s length away. The top of the screen should be at your eye level: if you have two screens make sure they are the same height and are side by side to avoid twisting your neck too much. While sitting, keep your hips flexed between a 90-to-110-degree angle with support for your lower back to prevent fatigue.
Home Office Equipment
Now we have looked at sitting comfortably, the next thing to do is kit out your home office. The office equipment you need will depend on your line of work, but here are the basic items every home office should have:
- A good quality desktop PC or laptop. If you have a laptop, consider getting a laptop stand or a docking station to plug it into a monitor and keyboard. This will help you maintain a good sitting posture.
- A monitor with good quality resolution and adjustable mount.
- Ergonomic keyboard and mouse (with mouse pad).
- Audio/visual equipment such as headphones, microphone and webcam for video conferencing.
- Any USB adapters and cables for charging or connecting devices to the PC/laptop.
- A good quality printer/scanner.
- A reliable and fast Internet connection with security and Wi-Fi.
Home Office Furniture
With your equipment set-up, you should look at the following office furniture to complete your home office:
- A sturdy office desk for your workstation. Some desks have the option of switching between sitting and standing desks, so consider this if you want to switch between the two.
- A comfortable and adjustable office chair with full back support. Avoid using normal household chairs as these may not offer enough support, especially for long-term use.
- Adequate lighting, such as desk lamps or anglepoise lamps, to avoid eye strain.
- Storage furniture, such as cupboards, bookcases, shelves and filing cabinets to store documents and supplies.
How Edmunds & Clarke Can Help
At Edmunds & Clarke Furniture, we offer a wide selection of handmade furniture perfect for use anywhere in the home. We make and supply high quality and bespoke furniture for the office, the kitchen, the living room and anywhere else you need. To find out more about our range of home office desk furniture, visit our online store, speak with our friendly team online, or pay a visit to our showroom. For the perfect home office furniture setup, contact Edmunds & Clarke Furniture today.